Job SummaryTo develop, implement and support an integrated, behaviorally-based safety system which promotes continuous and pervasive safety conscientiousness in the work environment and promotes all aspects of personal and family health fitness and safety through “Wellness sponsored activities. Ensures sites comply with federal, state, local, and internal environmental, health, and safety regulations, programs, and guidelines.
Location: Huber - Spring City, TN
Principal Duties & Responsibilities
1. Assure all federal, state and company mandated training is completed.
- Assist with safety orientation training for new employees.
- Assist supervisors with planning, developing and leading safety meetings.
- Assist employees with computer based safety training to assure re-certification is completed as required.
- Facilitate safety training by scheduling meetings, leading or scheduling qualified subject matter experts to lead safety sessions.
- Track all training needed and completed by employees and assures that proper documentation is available for review.
- Attain VPP certification.
2. Lead the efforts to increase continuous safety conscientiousness, identify potential hazards, investigate accidents and initiate necessary changes identified through near miss and accident investigation.
- Assure increased safety awareness by constant presence and observation of work behaviors and soliciting employee interactions followed by appropriate improvements.
- Lead the efforts to identify near-miss situations and recommend appropriate response.
- Thoroughly investigate any work-related injury and follows through with recommendations to limit possibility of a repeat occurrence.
- Maintain appropriate government and company records of accidents and near-misses.
- Develop and administer safety incentive programs to support safety awareness.
- Assist and support the Environmental Manager to meet regulatory requirements for HAZCOM including labeling, storing, spill response and training.
- Develop and administer an annual safety review and action plan highlighting goals and action steps to help reach stated goals and incident summary with actions taken to assure incidents are repeated.
- Maintain and complete company and OSHA required reports.
- Develop and maintain plant required support teams for fire fighting and first aid.
- Mentor/facilitate safety and star committee.
3. Provide ergonomic suggestions for modifications to the workplace to enhance performance and minimize the chance of injury or cumulative trauma in the work place.
- Analyze current tasks seeking improvements in design of work areas leading to increased safety and productivity.
- Work with supervisors to make necessary modification to workplace to meet ADA mandates.
4. Minimize impact to Workers Compensation experience rating by assuring continuous employment post-injury.
- Work with Supervisors to modify work tasks of an injured employee in order to comply with physicians work restrictions and return employee to meaningful, productive work as soon as possible.
- Remain in constant contact with injured employee and doctor to assure proper timely and treatment and company concern.
- Approve all site construction projects ensuring safety considerations are met.
5. Support healthcare cost containment activities through WHIP (Wellness/Health Incentive Program)
- Lead an aggressive program to encourage employees to commit to fitness for work and work hardening.
- Provide technical interface with physicians and other health personnel to facilitate post-injury rehab using company facility or other cost-effective methods.
- Develop and facilitate healthy lifestyle educational material, meetings, programs and incentives for employees and families to assure proper, timely and aggressive treatment and company concern.
6. Must be Recognized Leaders
7. Demonstrate project management skills.
8. Have people-influencing skills.
9. Good facilitator(s)
10. Capable of developing and giving training.
11. Familiar with EH&S rules and regulations.
12. Familiar with control technologies applicable to their site.
13. Perform other duties as assigned by Manager.
Requirements & Preferred Competencies
B.S. degree in Safety, Environmental, Engineering or related field of studies. At least 5 years of EHS discipline in a manufacturing environment. Some specialized training in physiology, vocational rehab, industrial medicine and/or safety program administration preferred. Excellent communication and influencing skills (presentation, written, oral). Working knowledge of State’s Worker’s Compensation program.
The incumbent is required to be thoroughly familiar with the Company’s Equal Opportunity Employment policy and to know and adhere to the Company’s Affirmative Action Plan to prevent discrimination because of race, color, sex, age, handicap, religion or national origin.
*Monitor air and water discharges from site to ensure compliance with federal, state, and local regulations and monitor process operations for evidence of excessive use of fuel, water, and other natural resources.
* *Ensure compliance with all applicable federal, state, local and corporate environmental and safety regulations, and permit issues (air, water, etc.). Ensure that proper documentation is completed for any safety or environmental required monitoring in your area of responsibility. Report inconsistencies as appropriate.
*Attend all federal, state and company mandated training, read and comply with Job Risk Analysis (JRA) (formally known as JHA - Job Hazard Analysis or JSA - Job Safety Analysis) information that applies to areas in which you work, wear appropriate personal protective equipment (PPE) while on the job, and report /or correct any unsafe condition that you may observe. Report all injuries to your supervisor immediately.
*Adhere to all Safety & Environmental Training.
Be aware of and know how to access the JM Huber EHS Policy, the Minimum Mandatory Standards and Requirements (MMSR’s) and HEW Environmental, Health, and Safety Management System (EHSMS) procedures. Comply with MMSRs and HEW EHSMS procedures and report all non-conformances to your supervisor or manager.
*Incorporate environmental, health and safety requirements into every day decision making.
Assist as required in the development and administration of environmental, safety and health policies and programs. Lead efforts to increase continuous safety and health environmental conscientiousness, identify potential hazards, investigate safety and/or environmental incidents and initiate necessary changes identified through “near hit” incident investigations. Thoroughly investigate any work-related injuries and record it appropriately. Plan, develop and lead safety and environmental awareness meetings. Ensure that the personnel, activities, equipment, and areas under your management are in compliance with applicable federal, state, local and corporate regulations and policies.
Refer to J.M. Huber Corporate EH&S Policy in your employee hand book (beginning on page 61) for further details regarding policy, implementation, responsibility and authority. Questions regarding EH&S compliance should be directed to your manager, team leader, environmental or safety manager.
EH&S compliance is a condition of employment. EH&S violations may result in disciplinary action up to and including discharge.
Huber Engineered Woods is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, protected veteran status, non-disqualifying physical or mental disability, national origin, genetic information, or any other basis covered by appropriate law. All employment is decided on the basis of qualifications, merit, and business need.