Quality Assurance Lab Tech
Performs testing and inspection of raw materials and finished product to assure compliance to the standards set forth by plant quality control specifications. Monitors production process parameters. Reports deficiencies and recommends or makes process changes to correct. Receives and maintains inventory of raw materials. Prepares samples to be sent to Teco and other outside agencies. Conducts special technical projects as needed.
Location: Huber - Spring City, TN
Principal Duties & Responsibilities
1. Performs measuring and testing of raw materials and finished board properties; checking specifications relative to:
a. Flake geometry
b. Moisture content
f. Modulus of elasticity (MOE)
g. Modulus of rupture (MOR)
h. Internal bond
i. Thickness swell
k. Maximum movement
l. Linear expansion
m. Elasticity and movement of inertia
n. 5 point shear test
o. Others as needed or assigned
2. Monitors and inspects process conditions and parameters, regularly reviewing:
a. Temperature and relative humidity
b. Wax and resin applications
c. Pressing and drying conditions
d. Product downgrade and cause
e. Appearance of finished products, including packaging.
3. Reports deficiencies and recommends solutions to Shift Coordinator and/or Quality
4. Isolates and tests possible defective product for compliance to specifications.
5. Determines grade of defective product for shipping.
6. Maintains daily inventories of resin and wax.
7. Prepares reports of testing and inspections for Shift Coordinator and Quality Assurance Superintendent.
8. Prepares daily inventory and usage reports for the Quality Control Superintendent.
9. Assists with periodic maintenance and calibration checks on process meters, scales, and equipment used by production employees.
a. Maintain log of calibrations and sensor changes for confined space monitoring equipment.
b. Calibrate weigh belts and resin loss on weight feeder.
c. Calibrate flow meters for wax and resin.
10. Rebuild and/or repair atomizers and stamp wheels.
11. Receives various process materials and insures no spills occur during transfer of
materials when Lead Quality Assurance Technician is not available.
a. Preparation for the transfer of MDI from truck or railcar to storage tanks.
b. Preparation for the unloading and transfer of wax trucks.
c. Unloading and storage of release agent.
12. Prepares and packages samples of raw material or finished products for shipment
to customers, certification agency, and suppliers.
13. Performs special research projects and other technical projects as assigned.
14. Assist the Teco auditor monthly with surface and thickness grading.
15. Performs testing as requested throughout mill for MDI concentrations.
16. Troubleshoots and/or assists with production or quality issues such as:
a. orientor plug
b. bunker belt speeds
c. fence plugs
d. resin and wax distribution
e. edge seal under/over spray
f. stenciling quality
g. water/release spray coverage
h. Stamp wheels
i. Resin & wax pumps
17. Cleans and maintains the lab and other assigned areas.
a. lab equipment
b. unloading area for wax and resin trucks
c. railcar unloading area
d. wax day tank room
e. resin and wax storage room
f. saw area
18. Performs statistical process control analysis of specific production parameters as
19. Performs other duties as assigned.
Requirements & Preferred Competencies
Must have a High School Diploma or GED at a minimum. Must have a strong math background or skills and capable of passing company math test. Must possess the ability to understand and operate mechanical systems incorporating electronic controls. Must have the ability to operate lab ovens, bending and breaking strength testing machines, panel and table saw, vacuum pressure tanks, calipers, micrometers, and measuring tapes. Must have basic computer knowledge and have the ability to enter data.
Works in the plant laboratory, in production areas, and in shipping areas exposed to heat, cold, noise, paint fumes, minor wood dust and dirty working conditions. Drives a forklift and must successfully pass the company’s forklift driver test. Must demonstrate math proficiency on company test. Must successfully pass Teco’s Certified Quality Control Technician test.
*Monitor air and water discharges from site to ensure compliance with federal, state, and local regulations and monitor process operations for evidence of excessive use of fuel, water, and other natural resources.
* *Ensure compliance with all applicable federal, state, local and corporate environmental and safety regulations, and permit issues (air, water, etc.). Ensure that proper documentation is completed for any safety or environmental required monitoring in your area of responsibility. Report inconsistencies as appropriate.
*Attend all federal, state and company mandated training, read and comply with Job Risk Analysis (JRA) (formally known as JHA - Job Hazard Analysis or JSA - Job Safety Analysis) information that applies to areas in which you work, wear appropriate personal protective equipment (PPE) while on the job, and report /or correct any unsafe condition that you may observe. Report all injuries to your supervisor immediately.
*Adhere to all Safety & Environmental Training.
Be aware of and know how to access the JM Huber EHS Policy, the Minimum Mandatory Standards and Requirements (MMSR’s) and HEW Environmental, Health, and Safety Management System (EHSMS) procedures. Comply with MMSRs and HEW EHSMS procedures and report all non-conformances to your supervisor or manager.
*Incorporate environmental, health and safety requirements into every day decision making.
Assist as required in the development and administration of environmental, safety and health policies and programs. Lead efforts to increase continuous safety and health environmental conscientiousness, identify potential hazards, investigate safety and/or environmental incidents and initiate necessary changes identified through “near hit” incident investigations. Thoroughly investigate any work-related injuries and record it appropriately. Plan, develop and lead safety and environmental awareness meetings. Ensure that the personnel, activities, equipment, and areas under your management are in compliance with applicable federal, state, local and corporate regulations and policies.
Refer to J.M. Huber Corporate EH&S Policy in your employee hand book (beginning on page 61) for further details regarding policy, implementation, responsibility and authority. Questions regarding EH&S compliance should be directed to your manager, team leader, environmental or safety manager.
EH&S compliance is a condition of employment. EH&S violations may result in disciplinary action up to and including discharge.
Huber Engineered Woods is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, protected veteran status, non-disqualifying physical or mental disability, national origin, genetic information, or any other basis covered by appropriate law. All employment is decided on the basis of qualifications, merit, and business need.
To formally apply for this position you must go to one of these Tennessee Career Centers:
Dayton Athens Cleveland Seq/Bledsoe Roane
200 4th Avenue 410 N. Congress Pkwy 3535 Adkisson Drive 15643 Rankin Avenue 1082 N Gateway Ave
Dayton, TN 37321 Athens, TN 37303 Cleveland, TN 37312 Dunlap, TN 37327 Rockwood, TN 37854