Job SummaryOperate flaker and associated equipment to provide a continual supply of properly flaked wood to the wet flake storage bins.
Location: Huber - Spring City, TN
Principal Duties & Responsibilities
1. Lubricates, cleans, and inspects flaker and other associated conveyors for proper operation daily.
2. Maintains orderliness and cleanliness of work area.
3. Takes corrective action if deviations are noted.
a. Changes knives.
b. Changes scoring tips.
c. Cleans out flakers.
d. Changes or cleans water nozzles/filters.
e. Records downtime.
f. Changes counter knife.
g. Cleans flaps and wedges.
h. Changes strand breakers.
i. Completes Downtime Report daily.
4. Monitors load on the flaker drive motor and controls feed speed continuously to keep within proper operating range.
5. Changes knives as required by load or flake quality degradation.
a. Stops flaker in knife position.
b. Blows out machine with air hose.
c. Follows lock out procedures.
d. Removes dull knives.
e. Cleans knife holder with air hose before and installing new knives.
f. Rotates ring at least 1 revolution to insure proper knife installation upon completion of knife change.
g. Change counter knife as needed.
6. Monitors flaker infeed visually continuously to assure proper operation and to prevent injury or damage to equipment.
7. Ability to operate Knuckle Boom efficiently.
8. Operates chain saw safely and efficiently.
9. Must possess the skills to properly operate a joy stick, which requires excellent motor skills.
10. Perform other duties as may be assigned.
Requirements & Preferred Competencies
High school diploma or GED
Operates heavy duty conveying and mechanical processing systems. Primarily works inside in a totally enclosed cab that provides protection against inclement weather. Works inside and outside. Is able to use a chain saw. Ability to climb stairs throughout the shift when issues arise. Must be able to lift over 50 pounds.
*Monitor air and water discharges from site to ensure compliance with federal, state, and local regulations and monitor process operations for evidence of excessive use of fuel, water, and other natural resources.
* *Ensure compliance with all applicable federal, state, local and corporate environmental and safety regulations, and permit issues (air, water, etc.). Ensure that proper documentation is completed for any safety or environmental required monitoring in your area of responsibility. Report inconsistencies as appropriate.
*Attend all federal, state and company mandated training, read and comply with Job Risk Analysis (JRA) (formally known as JHA - Job Hazard Analysis or JSA - Job Safety Analysis) information that applies to areas in which you work, wear appropriate personal protective equipment (PPE) while on the job, and report /or correct any unsafe condition that you may observe. Report all injuries to your supervisor immediately.
*Adhere to all Safety & Environmental Training.
Be aware of and know how to access the JM Huber EHS Policy, the Minimum Mandatory Standards and Requirements (MMSR’s) and HEW Environmental, Health, and Safety Management System (EHSMS) procedures. Comply with MMSRs and HEW EHSMS procedures and report all non-conformances to your supervisor or manager.
*Incorporate environmental, health and safety requirements into every day decision making.
Assist as required in the development and administration of environmental, safety and health policies and programs. Lead efforts to increase continuous safety and health environmental conscientiousness, identify potential hazards, investigate safety and/or environmental incidents and initiate necessary changes identified through “near hit” incident investigations. Thoroughly investigate any work-related injuries and record it appropriately. Plan, develop and lead safety and environmental awareness meetings. Ensure that the personnel, activities, equipment, and areas under your management are in compliance with applicable federal, state, local and corporate regulations and policies.
Refer to J.M. Huber Corporate EH&S Policy in your employee hand book (beginning on page 61) for further details regarding policy, implementation, responsibility and authority. Questions regarding EH&S compliance should be directed to your manager, team leader, environmental or safety manager.
EH&S compliance is a condition of employment. EH&S violations may result in disciplinary action up to and including discharge.
Huber Engineered Woods is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, protected veteran status, non-disqualifying physical or mental disability, national origin, genetic information, or any other basis covered by appropriate law. All employment is decided on the basis of qualifications, merit, and business need.